sabato 14 novembre 2009

Die de los Muertos video

This is my small video on El Dia de los Muertos. We have a similar tradition in Italy and I have always been fascinated by the Mexican lore and culture. A Mexican friend of mine forwarded this video to me. I only added the funny intro and found a song for it...

Gracias A La Vida as performed by the great Mercedes Sosa, a legendary folk singer from Argentina.



Thoughts after the show? Well, lots of tension in doing something I am not used to doing.
But I cared so much for the performance and I realized, as I was saying it to Dr. Gilbert, that for me it was the first performance with my back to the audience. I guess I was feeling part of it as the people on stage.

Everybody is excited about the creative and connecting possibilities this can lead to. And I was. And I am.
But at the same time, I was thinking that live perfomances are irreplaceable. The Korean dancer literally bewitched me. Would it had been the same if I were in California?

I am saying this because a singer and songwriter I know once said that the future of songwriters will be through shows online via skype, since clubs don't pay much anymore. I think this is going to kill the ritual of music, of performance in general. Human beings' breath, sweat, smell are as part of the performance as the artistic material they are working with.

Let's enjoy this. Let's learn. But let's continue to go to clubs and theatres. I am afraid new generations will prefer to stay home and watch shows from their screens...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento